What is expected of a Round Square School?
Round Square welcomes schools from around the world that share a similar ethos and values and are committed to the advancement of education, in accordance with our philosophy and principles.
Together our Schools aim to inspire and draw out every child’s capacity for self-discovery, personal development, achievement and excellence, with an approach that is practical, cross-cultural and collaborative. Throughout the initial enquiry and application process we work with potential candidates to determine whether this is likely to be the right step for their school.
Round Square schools are expected to encourage and guide their students to:
- seek to discover and embrace similarities and differences between cultures and nationalitiesin a way that promotes meaningful and lasting understanding and respect;
- develop a sense of equality, fairness, justice and a desire to do what is right;
- understand the significance of mankind’s place in the universe, the forces that shape our surroundings and the impact that they have on those surroundings;
- recognise that great leaders are driven by a desire to be of service to others and to nurture, guide, develop and help them to improve and succeed; and
- celebrate personal development through practical experience that brings sustainable support and benefit to others;
We also ask Round Square schools to:
- commit fully at leadership level to the philosophy and values of Round Square including the RS IDEALS of Internationalism, Democracy, Environmentalism, Adventure, Leadership and Service, and promote these principles;
- offer students opportunities to engage with the Round Square IDEALS via (but not limited to): conference participation, service project activity, and exchanges;
- actively connect with other Round Square schools to share good practice, collaborate and accept incoming exchange students and teachers where possible;
- be prepared to share good practice and resources via the RS web site for all schools in the network to use;
- integrate the RS philosophy into the fabric of internal school life and external school engagement, specifically through communication with staff, students, and other stakeholders;
- develop school activities and engagements in line with Round Square themes;
- play a full part in Round Square activities, including through participation in, and on occasion taking responsibility for hosting, RS regional and global conferences;
- develop and participate in training and professional development opportunities and staff exchanges with other Round Square schools;
- develop productive communications and connections within the RS Network;
- engage fully with the democratic processes of Round Square as a voting member of the UK Registered Charity.