Head of Boarding, India
JOB TITLE: Head of Boarding
APPOINTED BY: Principal
REPORTING TO: Principal
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Head of Boarding will assume full responsibility for the oversight and management of four boarding houses on campus and will have responsibility for the day to day management of the entire residential team. Given the residential model we are working towards, this will also include training, professional development, benchmarking and the development of a suitable review/appraisal process. The early design of a 3-5 year strategy, in discussion with the Principal, would be a key initial objective. The Head of Boarding will work closely with Senior Leadership Team, the Residential Life Team and the Education Team. The model we are guided by is the standard boarding model in most international residential schools. In a typical boarding house, this would include a Houseparent couple supported by a team of resident House Tutors and designated non-resident teaching staff who have weekly duties in the house. The school will be relatively flexible as regards the additional responsibilities of the Houseparent couple. The norm would be a modest teaching load carried between them or by one of them.
For more information about Woodstock School please see the videos below.
- Other Responsibilities
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Management of the residence staff team
- Promoting a culture of care based on clear professional standards and expectations
- Active recruitment and appointment of residential staff
- Induction for new residence staff
- Ensuring excellent lines of communication to and from residence staff, academic staff, parents and students
- Providing in-service and professional development for all residence staff
- Overseeing staff rosters
- Chair weekly meetings with the Residence Team
- Implementing and review policies and procedures in consultation with relevant staff and the Senior Leadership Team
- Writing, maintaining and regularly updating a Residence Handbook for staff students and parents
- Meeting regularly with individual Residence Staff
- Promoting a climate where staff and students share mutual respect, care, trust and concern
- Providing and managing the necessary expectations in terms of student behaviour and wellbeing
- Creating opportunities for students to develop personal responsibility
- Ensure the provision of appropriate activities for students
- Other Responsibilities
- Working closely with the Admissions Office
- Ensuring high standards in terms of the physical space and amenities in the residences
- Representing boarding in the school’s overall vision and strategic planning
- Establishing effective means of communication internally and externally in collaboration with the Communications Team
- Inspecting the fabric, décor and ambiance of the residences on a regular basis and liaising with the Head of Facilities & Engineering
- Overall responsibility for the efficient and effective operation of the Boarding Houses and the creation of a happy and purposeful boarding community
Qualification & Experience:
- Good first degree and qualifications related to a Head of Boarding role.
- Minimum 10 years related work experience in a residential school context
- Qualifications and experiences appropriate to any teaching load assumed.
Interested candidates should send an application at the earliest possible opportunity, but no later than November 30th, 2017. Please note that Woodstock School reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process. For this reason, interested candidates should apply early. The review of candidates will begin on a rolling basis as applications are received.
Please apply through the school’s online jobs portal, at https://my.zartis.com/woodstock-school/.
Name of School: Woodstock School