RSIS Big Build Vietnam

Under the banner of "The Round Square Big Build", this International Service Project will see 50 students working with the local community in Na Mon, Vietnam to build a water dam. This work will help improve the local farming infrastructure and will help to store water in the dry season and drain water during monsoon season.

Participants will take it in turns to be Student Leaders during the project, taking responsibility for the organisation of the day, briefing their peers, giving an overview of safety and risk management and organising a student rota to help with different chores at camp. Students will be given feedback by their peers and the adult leaders, and will all receive a personal report after the trip.

All participants will:

  • Have the opportunity to lead a truly international team;
  • Develop their problem solving, presentation, facilitating and communication skills;
  • Grow in self-confidence, personal responsibility and self-awareness; and
  • Test and hone their management and negotiation skills.

Big Build Projects are the perfect opportunity for Schools to provide targeted leadership training for potential future leaders including your next Head Boy or Girl, or students with other areas of responsibility in their school (eg sports captain, school prefect, committee chair.)

 

About Vietnam

Vietnam shares its borders with Cambodia and Laos to the west, China to the north and 3,000km of coastline facing the South China Sea to the east. Vietnam is one of the most densely populations in the world with 80 per cent still living a rural existence.

The majority of the population (87%) are Viet or 'Kinh' people; the remaining 13% is made up of over 50 ethnic hill tribe peoples who live mostly in the central and northern mountainous areas of the country. Each hill tribe has its own unique customs and dialect and some are so remote even Vietnamese is rarely spoken in village.

Find out more about Vietnam

 

Dates

9th - 22nd December 2017

Price

Participation fee £980 plus flights

50 students. One cause. It's going to be BIG #rsbigbuild